Saturday, October 31, 2015

Writing Time

Most writers have other jobs or other commitments, so they can't just write as the mood hits them. Usually serious writers will have to plan or schedule their writing times, at least sometime in their careers. It happened to me.
When I started writing my novels, I had huge blocks of time in which to write, and that made things easy. As my mother's health deteriorated, I  had become her caregiver. Yet, she could still do most things for herself. I cooked for her, took her to her doctors and then to dialysis, and became responsible for her medications. Otherwise, I just needed to be in the house in case she needed something or had any problems. I had enjoyed doing more traveling before this, but now I had the time to write. It still amazes me how God does bring some good out of bad situations, just like He promised. During this time, I finished eleven manuscripts and was working on the twelfth.


After about four years Mom made the decision to go off dialysis, and she passed away. My husband accepted the call to pastor a church in the eastern part of North Carolina, and I assumed the role of a pastor's wife I didn't have as much time to write. A year and a half later, my first historical novel, Cleared for Planting, was published, and I began promoting it, blogging, and being on social media more. I had even less time to write. In September, my second book, Sown in Dark Soil, was released, and writing time became hard to find. Not only was I a pastor's wife and promoting the books, but I also had to work with the C.E.O., editor, and graphic artist at the publishing house, as we bring other books out.


I'm not a person who usually has to schedule in time for things I enjoy doing, like writing, but I soon realized I was going to have to set some goals, if I finished more manuscripts. I had begun a new series set in early New Mexico, and writing the first book had gotten put on the back burner over and over again. Knowing that I had limited time, I set a low goal of writing a thousand words each day. It was an amount I thought I could always reach, no matter how busy the day. This has worked well for me. Most days I write at least 3,000 words, and on some days I write 7,000. I finished the first book and now am almost through with the second book in this New Mexico series.


Although, when I first started, I could write as many as 15,000 words on some days and always wrote 8,000, my situation has changed, and I've had to change with it. I don't have those large blocks of time anymore. I encourage any writers out there to set a doable goal, stick closely to it, and you'll feel good when you meet it or exceed it. Each person's situation and writing personality will be different. Do what works for you, but do. Write.
______________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment