Saturday, October 24, 2015

My Dilemma 

I had an interesting thing happen this week as a writer. I got an email from a publisher of non-fiction history books with a state or local slant wanting me to send in a book proposal to them for possible publication. They are a tradition publisher, who pays royalties and requires no money from the writer. (More and more publishing houses are doing that these days.)


The publisher had seen my blog, read several of them, and thought I might be a good fit for their publishing house. I do tend to write my blogs about history and folkways through the week, because they've always been an interest of mine. I had never dreamed I might get a book offer from them, however.


Now, I've got to decide what to do. My love is writing my novels, and part of me wants to spend all the time I can on that. However, as a former history teacher and history major, I can also see me writing this book they want. I've looked at their website and started jotting down possible topics, as I think of them. Also, as my husband pointed out, this might get my name out there more and increase my name recognition.


I'm still having a hard time deciding what I should do. I think I could do this book and still keep up with my writing schedule on the Appalachian Roots series that I'm now publishing. I should also be able to still do book promotions, because I can write some when I travel. However, it would probably slow down the New Mexico series that I'm working to write now. I'm going to continue to consider the issue and to pray about it. Regardless of what I decide, it's been a huge compliment to be asked.
___________________________________

2 comments:

  1. Janice Cole Hopkins,
    After reading your post, if it makes you happy then do it!

    The love of American history involving Sojournertruth and Prophet Matthias has filled my life with emotional shocking information. Hidden within the pages of recorded history is the amazing story of the real and undeniable connections between Prophet Matthias and Joseph Smith the Mormon Prophet. The connections between these two American prophets are extremely interesting. I have made a YOU -TUBE three minute film which you may find of some interest. The link to the films is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPtzuTZtDjM I hope that you enjoy it. Please like, subscribe and comment as we would like to hear from you. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1R8YnwpM3w&list=PLz4o7USuNnWiyWYCgYX- PUleOXjzojuVi Mike Wilkins.
    3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment and information. I could be happy either way, as long as I get to write my historical novels, too.

    ReplyDelete