Saturday, October 10, 2015

It Was a Dark, Stormy Day


It may be a writing cliche, but it really was a dark, stormy day last Saturday, when the storms hit the East Coast. Although, I personally didn't see the damage many areas did, the buckets of rain and high winds kept up their threats. And, I had a book signing to do.


Luckily there was a slight break in the deluge, when I went to my car. I took along plenty of plastic bags to protect my books. I also decreased the amount I planned to carry in the bookstore, because I didn't expect a tremendous turnout in this weather, and I could always go back to the car for more.


As it ended up, my forecast turned out correct. I wish it hadn't been. No one showed up for the book signing, and I sold no books, and the other three authors fared the same. Still, I enjoyed meeting the other authors and talking with them inside the bookstore. Libraries and bookstores are always favorite places to hang out. 

When authors do a lot of book promotions, some just don't work out according to hopes and expectations. However, if we can get our names out there and a few more people learn about us and our books, then the time isn't a total waste. I made new friends here and got some leads for future events, so the day wasn't a total washout.
_____________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment