Friday, October 30, 2015

The Witch of Big Lick


The 2nd book in the
Appalachian Roots Series
In doing some research for my fourth and final novel in the Appalachian Roots Series, I ran across an interesting legend. The novel, Transplanted to Red Clay, is largely set in Big Lick, North Carolina. At that time, a few years after the Civil War, Big Lick was the third largest town in Stanly County. The legend involved Lynn Bird, a woman who lived near the town, that rumors said was a witch.


Reports said that when children came too close to her cabin, she cursed them and pelted them with rocks. Livestock that wandered onto her land disappeared and was never seen again. Cattle that ate grass too close to her place sickened and died. She supposedly killed the child of one of her daughters who hadn't married first. Neighbors said they would hear an infant
crying from her place over the years, but none was ever seen. One source said that "if she was not the witch villagers believed her to be, she at least lived close to the devil." Her daughter, Hess, married William (Bill) Henderson, but Lynn tried to keep them apart. When Bill had had enough, he declared to an older widow, his friend, and a shopkeeper that he was going to Lynn's place to see his wife. He never returned and was never heard from again.



I had first thought I might work the legend into my book, but I intended to make Lynn a misunderstood woman. History shows that gossip and rumors often ran rampant about witches. However, the best I could see, Lynn lived after the turn of the century, too long after my book. I thought I would share the legend here, as a good tale for Halloween.
__________________________________

4 comments:

  1. Lynn was my 3rd great grandmother. I would love to see this published again. William Anderson who disappeared was my mother's great grandfather, his son Everette, her grandfather. Mama always said that people who lived in Lynn's house after she died would hear a baby crying, among other things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I live near Oakboro and would love to talk with you about this sometime. Email me - janicecolehopkins@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know that this post is from quite some time ago, but I'm working on research for a podcast about women who were called witches. I am interested in Lynn's story but I cannot find any information on her with her name and the town of Big Lick/Oakboro alone. If anyone happens to see this and is interested in sharing what they know to help me get started in my search, please feel free to email me at oncetherewasawitch@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you emailed me, too. I hope you find what you need.

    ReplyDelete