Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Reflections of 2014


As 2014 draws to an end, it's a good time for reflections. This has been an unusual year for me, and the publication of my first novel is responsible.

I wrote Cleared for Planting about four years ago. It took me about four weeks to write the rough draft, but I'd let it rest and then go back to proof and tweak it. It was actually my fifth manuscript. I have eleven now and am working on the twelfth.


In 2014, I attended a writer's conference in Spartanburg, South Carolina, and met with Sam and Tim Lowry from Ambassador International. They are a Christian publishing house with offices in Belfast, Ireland, and Greenville, South Carolina. Because I was taking some classes at Chowan University and had other obligations that required my time, I didn't get to go write the novel proposal and send it in until July. It was accepted and that began the process.


I wrote bits of information, like the author's bio and back cover copy; went back and forth with the editor until both of us were satisfied; and worked with the graphic designer on the cover. I finished my part around the first of October. Then, the waiting began, which turned out to be the most difficult part of all.

Recently, I discovered by accident that Cleared for Planting is already available for pre-order on amazon. Their site says it will be released on February 16. Hopefully, I'll hear from Ambassador that my copies are ready soon.



The publisher also asked me to blog. This caused another major change. I began blogging in August and have posted each day since then. I have enjoyed it and have been able to pull on my background as a magazine writer. However, the time required to do a daily blog with photos seems to take away from my time for novel writing. As you can see here, my blog is called "Reflections." It covers a different topic each day - things like history, folk culture, my writing, personal stories, and messages of faith. 

Now, as I look toward to 2015, I'm sure it'll bring even more new experiences and changes, as I try to promote Cleared for Planting and let people know there's a new novelist on the block. I'm hoping it will sell well enough that Ambassador will want to publish the next book in the Appalachian Roots series, Sown in Dark Soil. I also invite you to follow me to see what 2015 brings.
____________________________________________


No comments:

Post a Comment