Sunday, December 21, 2014

Taking Christ from Christmas?


Maybe there's something naive about me, but it makes no sense to me to try to take Christ from Christmas. He's the very reason we celebrate. Without Christ there would never have been a Christmas. You can say "Happy holidays" (which means holy day, by the way) or "Season's greetings" all you want instead of "Merry Christmas," but it still doesn't change why we celebrate.

"For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Saviour, which is Christ the Lord (Luke 2:11).

Christmas is not just a modern holiday. In fact there's evidence that Christmas was celebrated on December 25th as far back as the mid-300's. It's not just an American celebration either, but it's celebrated all over the world. "Merry Christmas" rings out in almost too many languages to count.

Some say they have changed the word so they won't offend other religions. I don't think this is a valid argument. I have taught people of other faiths, and they were not offended by my Christmas or Easter, just as I wasn't offended by their Hanukkah, Ramadan, or whatever. I sat at a Hindu family's dinner table in India, and the head of the household asked me to say grace before we ate, because he knew it was what I did.

I don't see how we can take Christ from Christmas. It's part of the name. The calendars I see in the stores still mark December 25 as "Christmas Day." If someone chooses not to believe in Christ, let them not celebrate Christmas, but don't try to take Christ out of Christmas. That's impossible.

"Who is a liar but he that denieth that Jesus is the Christ?" (1 John 2:22a).
_______________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment