Tuesday, December 16, 2014

A Visit to Christmases Past

Financially, my family never had a lot. I can remember years, especially when I was small, where we struggled to just get by. Remarkably, however, I was never disappointed on Christmas Day. Santa always visited on Christmas Eve night and left presents under the tree. It might not have been an abundance by today's standards, but I was always excited and happy and felt I had plenty.

Both of my parents had grown up in Watauga and Ashe Counties, North Carolina, and they were lucky to get an orange and a piece of candy
for Christmas. I don't think my father got anything much, and Mother only occasionally got a piece of candy or fruit. They wanted to make sure my Christmases were different.

My birthday comes on December 22. People always felt sorry for me, because it was so close to Christmas that they felt it got lost. It didn't, because my parents always made the day special, and I always got to open one present three days early. I loved it!

Some of the best early presents I remember was a small wooden rocking chair with a wicker seat, a metal dollhouse complete with furniture, and my Little Red Riding Hood doll. Later came a record player with records and a birthstone ring that I still have and can still wear. Of course, there were always books, too. I began reading for pleasure between the first and second grades and never stopped.


Mama ordered most of my presents from the Sears and Roebuck catalog. Since we were customers, the company mailed us catalogs ever year, including the special Christmas edition. I loved looking at all the pictures, and we always saved the old ones to use later. Sometimes, I'd cut them up and make artwork or paper dolls out of them. What great memories! What are some of yours?



____________________________________________


No comments:

Post a Comment