Tuesday, December 30, 2014

The Cookie House


When I was a child and before gas prices escalated, my parents and I used to go for Sunday afternoon drives. One of my favorite places to go was Galax, Virginia, just over the state line from North Carolina. They had a huge Book Barn stuffed full with used books at cheap prices. Even then, I was a book lover.


On one trip there, we also stopped at a pottery place. I had a coffee mug collection too. Dad told me I could choose a cheaper item, but I couldn't find a mug that I wanted. However, they had this cookie jar shaped like house.  It even said, "Cookie House." We didn't have a cookie jar at home, and I felt we needed this one. Mom thought it cost more than she'd planned to spend, since I'd already bought books, but Dad said I could get it. For $3.50, we brought it home.


Later, as an adult, I became interested in antiques and collectibles. I discovered my cookie jar was a McCoy, and it ending up having a great investment return. I still have it today in perfect shape.
__________________________________________

1 comment:

  1. The past is full of treasures. The irony is that often the ones that have gained the most monetary value are special enough in memory's tender associations to not be eligible for cashing in!

    ReplyDelete