Thursday, December 18, 2014

Christmastime in the Philippines

I have been blessed to have traveled the world. I've been to all 50 states and at least 35 other countries. In all my travels and mission work, however, I've always made it home to be with my family over at least part of the Christmas holiday.

In 2001, I spent fall semester teaching missionaries' children in Davao, in the southern Philippines. I taught high school English at Mindanao International Christian Academy (MICA). In fact, I was there during 9-11 and the terrorist attacks, but that's a story for another day. 

December in shorts

Although, I flew home after the semester ended and I got my grades turned in, I was still there for the pre-Christmas activities. Temperatures had cooled just a little by December, but it was still pretty warm and muggy. With temperatures in the eighties, it didn't seem like Christmas to me, and the palm trees seemed out of place. However, the city, stores, and many people still put out traditional Christmas
decorations and played Christmas music. For the Filipinos and the missionaries living there long-term, this was normal. 

The school even held a progressive Christmas dinner and a Christmas program, which included a play and music. These months provided important lessons and special blessings. I treasure the time I spent there, but I was still glad I was able to come home for Christmas.
__________________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment