Tuesday, December 9, 2014

A Country Christmas

Christmas brings some special childhood memories. I grew up in the country with an Appalachian heritage. Our Christmas tree was always a cedar cut from our fields. Daddy usually cut one down, brought it to the house, trimmed it down to fit, and put it in a metal bucket so water could be added. One year, however, when I was about ten, I talked Mama into letting me go get the tree, since he was busy. She reluctantly agreed. I wrapped up warmly and put galoshes over my shoes to meet with Mother's approval. Then, I grabbed the double-blade ax and off I
Country kitchen theme
went. I didn't have any trouble finding a good tree, but it was much harder to cut down than I expected. The ax tended to want to bounce off, but I eventually got the cedar back to the house. Mother almost became hysterical. My boots had sliced places all over the toe where the ax had cut them. I hadn't even felt it through my double socks and shoes. I couldn't understand what all the commotion was about. I was fine.



Today, I like to decorate my trees with different themes each Christmas, but my favorite theme is a country one. Regrettably, however, I no longer use a cedar one. I've tried to find scents or sprays to duplicate that Christmas, cedar smell, but nothing has come close. The cedar Christmases are still the best.


                                                                              This year's country theme
________________________________________


No comments:

Post a Comment