Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Painting

If you have read several of my blogs, you may already realize that I'm interested in a multitude of things. My writing seems to be a way to pull it all together and use some of it.

At one point in my life, I took a special interest in painting. Oils were my favorite, although I dabbled in many mediums. I had enjoyed art when I was in school. I remember an art contest we had in sixth grade. We had to draw a plantation house. I came in second to a student I considered an excellent artist. Sure, I would have liked to win, because I've always had a competitive side, but I recognized his was better than mine. The contest had been judged fairly, and I was just happy to have placed.


When I was adding elementary certification to my teaching degree, I took an art class for teachers at West Chester State University in Pennsylvania. I thoroughly enjoyed the drawing, paper sculptures, and different projects. The professor tried to talk me to coming back and majoring in art. Since I had a family, I didn't think it was the right thing for me at the time, but I was honored that he encouraged me and felt it was a huge compliment.

I used to have a small craft shop, and Mother and I did craft shows. Over the years, I've sold most of my paintings. The two pictured here are the only ones I have left. I quit painting years ago, when I turned to quilting and other crafts. Getting out my oils, having the right canvas, and storing it all just became too much. Besides, I had other hobbies to explore.
_______________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment