Tuesday, January 20, 2015

I Am a Writer

I think all writers struggle to be taken seriously. Somewhere, many people have gotten the idea that writing is more play than serious work. If you write, then you're really free. The fact that I'm also a retired teacher and pastor's wife seem to magnify this concept.

Perhaps this misconception stems from the fact that only about 1% of writers today make their living from their writing. Just because we're often forced to seek other employment doesn't mean we wouldn't like to be able to write full-time or that our writing isn't important.

Not even all aspiring authors realize that once a book is accepted for publication, that's when the real work begins. Not only is there the pressure of working with editors and graphic design departments to bring out a quality product, but the job of marketing and promoting has now fallen on the author as well. In addition, publishers often ask that the writer have a daily blog and social media platform, which is more pressure.

Why do I write if I recognize all this? I am a writer. It's a big part of who God made me to be, and I want to glorify Him through my writing. This is why I plan to donate all profits to Christian charities. I honestly don't care if anyone ever remembers who wrote my books, as long as they grow in the Lord because of them. I do want people to love them, and I do hope Cleared for Planting sells well so that my other manuscripts will be published. I already have eleven and am working on the twelfth, which will start my New Mexico series. I'm counting on people to spread the word about Cleared for Planting and the other books I hope get published. Any help will be greatly appreciated, and, above all, pray for me and my writing.
_______________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment