Saturday, January 24, 2015

Never Bored

I hear my grandsons complaining about being bored, and I just smile to myself. I feel blessed to realize I've never been bored in my life. No matter where I am, I've always been able to find interesting things to do.

I think it may come from the fact that I'm interested in almost everything, and I always have a backlog of things I want to get to. The list usually grows faster than I can cross things off. In addition, I love to read and normally have a book within reach. In fact, I'm usually reading at least four: the Bible, a Christian non-fiction for part of my morning devotions, a shorter devotional for my bedtime devotion, and a novel for enjoyment. My Kindle helps with this. In a very small package, I carry around an entire library with me. Right now I have 2,285 books on it, and the number continues to grow.


I also think writing. At any one time, I have at least four novels rolling around in my head, and sometimes more. I get to know my characters, and imagine brief scenes this way. When I get ready to write one, I already have snippets of the novel worked out, so I can write quickly. Just like I've never been bored, I've yet to have writer's block - another blessing.


The list of my hobbies and things I like is quite extensive. Here are just a few of the ones not already mentioned: quilting, embroidery, sewing, basketry, crochet, drawing, painting, pottery, textile dyeing, herbs and medicine, photography, travel, history, folk studies and folkways, Appalachian culture, gardening, cooking, canning, farming, natural sciences, movies, drama and theater, teaching, public speaking, home decor, architecture, scrapbooking, etc.


So, when I hear someone talk about being bored, I just smile to myself. I could live ten lifetimes and never be bored.
______________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment