Wednesday, April 20, 2016

The Solitude of Writing


Writing is largely a solitary task. Most accomplished writers tend to be introverts or at least have a side of them that way. I recently had a conversation with an aspiring writer. She said she had the hardest time finding time to write and staying on task when she did. Come to find out, she was an extrovert. She loved being around people, and she was always being pulled away from her writing.


Today I had a chat with a group of writers on a facebook page for Christian poets and writers. The question was asked about ways we, as Christian writers, helped and encouraged others in their faith. I said, "I think just encouraging others is important. Writers need that more than most, and encouragement in the faith is especially important." I love the answer that Mary Harwell Sayler sent back: "Yes! Thanks, Janice. To get any writing done, we have to work alone, so it's wonderful having this group understand and be hospitable to one another. Also solitude can breed negative thinking, so as we share uplifting Bible verses, poems, praises, or devotionals, we may help a writing peer over a hard time."


I feel blessed that I'm both an introvert and an extrovert. I turn to my introverted side when I write, and I can sit in front of my computer for hours and not get antsy. But when I give presentations, do book signings, or meet people, I turn to my extroverted side that loves people and enjoys being around them. This has worked well for me as a writer.
____________________________________




1 comment:

  1. Tried to share on Facebook and got a lot of pictures of animals, then other items.

    ReplyDelete