Friday, April 22, 2016

One Request



Most of you will remember the story of Solomon. God appeared to him in a dream and told him to ask what he wanted God to give him. Because he asked for wisdom, God granted him wisdom, and Solomon became the wisest man that ever lived. In addition, he was also given riches and long life.

Behold, I have done according to thy words: lo, I have given thee a wise and an understanding heart; so there is none like thee before thee, neither after thee shall any arise like unto thee.   (1 Kings 3:12).

I clearly remember a writing assignment in elementary school. We were to write about what we would ask for if we could have any wish. I thought long and hard about it, and the story of Solomon crossed my mind, because I had been blessed to grow up in a Christian home.

Solomon didn't always make wise choices.  Later in his life he was influenced by his foreign wives and built temples to other gods. He even attended some of those temples with his wives. I used to wonder how he could be so wise and do such things, but knowing what is right does not always mean doing what is right. If we're honest, we all can cite examples of this from our own lives.

I decided if God were to grant me my heart’s desire, I would ask that I always be pleasing to Him.  That way, I might not be wise, but I would tap into His wisdom and avoid making the same mistakes as Solomon. What would you ask for? What is the thing dearest to your heart?
_____________________________________



.

2 comments:

  1. Great Question! At different times I would have asked for different things. I remember as a child asking for wisdom, like Solomon. I often ask for God to help me live a life pleasing to Him, as you did. What is most on my heart right now is to ask for true, deep, widespread revival and renewal for God's Church. We need it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great one too. We definitely need a widespread revival.

    ReplyDelete