Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Put Your Best Work Forward


In the uncertain times of writing and publishing, I see many writers putting out substandard work, especially when self-publishing. A couple of years ago, I worked with one such author. Her stories were interesting, and I could see talent, but her grammar and mechanics were horrible. When I taught fifth grade, ninety-eight percent of them did much better. She indicated she couldn't afford to hire an editor, so I edited three or four of her novels for free. It took a long time, because there were many mistakes. After I began publishing, I became too busy with my own work. I regret that its so easy for a few mistakes to slip through my novels, but they aren't laden with errors, and I do try hard, as do my editors.


I also read well over 200 books a year. One of my favorite Christian authors, who is very well-known, has become a great disappointment to me. It's like she still pumps out books, but the joy has gone out of writing for her, and it shows. I won't buy any of her newer novels. Her first works are great.


I strongly believe readers deserve our best. I have heard of writers getting tired of reading through their manuscripts and books again and again. I know I have read through some of mine over thirty times, but I have never become bored with one yet. I can pick up any one of them now and still enjoy them. If the writer gets bored with a story, I suspect many of the readers will too.  So, I encourage all writers to keep their standards high. This is one way to make our craft strong and to keep readers coming back.
_____________________________________

4 comments:

  1. I totally agree! I am a Virtual Assistant. One of my clients I have was because of her posts that were laden with those types of errors, and she is highly trafficked and very good income. I approached her and offered to help clean up grammar and spelling, she had been wanting to find someone because she was overwhelmed.

    Another, I am reviewing a Christian book, and started finding errors. She had paid a couple of people to edit already.

    Some people just don't realize and/or don't have time to make sure their writing is quality.

    Thank you for bringing this to light.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tammy thank you for your comment. You are providing a much needed service. Although I can clean up others' writings, I have a much harder time doing my own. I tend to read it according to what I intended to write. I always have others proof my larger manuscripts.

      Delete
  2. Thanks, Janice. I hope many writers see this. When I started out, we studied - English, other writers, our genre. With free and easy blogs, people seem to think that makes a writer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So true, Mary. I even find myself battling with editors at publishing houses over grammar. My current one wants to use ellipses instead of many of my commas. She's one of the young ones who apparently hasn't been taught grammar the way I was.

    ReplyDelete