Wednesday, April 27, 2016

An Interview with Emma


Today I want to do something a little different. I've decided to interview Emmaline Cagle Moretz about what happened in Cleared for Planting, the first book in the Appalachian Roots series. Emmaline and her family were in the middle of their move to the Linville River area in North Carolina's Appalachian Mountains when readers first meet her. She's an important secondary character in Sown in Dark Soil and is also  part of Uprooted by War.

Emma, what were some of the hardships you faced in that move up the mountain?


There were many. Obviously, the conditions in the Appalachians in 1804 were a challenge. I wasn't used to those rugged winters, Uncle Roy's cabin wasn't the best, and our nearest neighbors were a few hours away. The Cherokee were still a threat to settlers, which my capture by the four braves proved. And Papa started helping Uncle Roy make moonshine and drinking again. He sure was mean when he got drunk.

Speaking of being captured by the Cherokee, many readers tell me they cried when Hawk walked away from his sister's cabin that morning. How did you feel at the time?


It was hard for me too. I would even miss his mother, who had taught me about herbs and medicines in the Cherokee village. If you remember, I cried, knowing that Hawk was hurting because I couldn't stay. This strong Cherokee man had been so good to me. But I knew what I had to do, and I did it. It had to be this way. However, tell those readers that Hawk comes back in Uprooted by War, and I think he's better than ever.

If you could go back to your younger days, what would you do differently?


Oh my, that's hard question to answer. I wish I would have accepted Christ into my life sooner. I think the beauty in those mountains made me reflect on God more, but I was trying to make sense of everything. I tried to understand all about God and his Word first, when it would have been much easier to accept Christ first and let the Holy Spirit guide, direct, and teach me. Edgar Moretz helped me see this.

Even though your faith was pretty new, it never failed you during the time you were forced to live with the Cherokee. However, Edgar's faith began to falter and he started to question things after you were captured. How do you explain that?


Well, in a way, it was harder on Edgar than it was me. Papa had gotten drunk again, killed a man, and forced Mama to leave with him and Uncle Roy. I refused to go and was waiting for Edgar's visit when the braves captured me, so he had no idea what had happened to me. He later guessed what might have happened, but he didn't know for sure and didn't know if he'd ever see me again or not. I don't think his faith had ever been tested this way before. Yet, he worked through his misgivings and came out stronger on the other side. We both did from our experiences. Troubles often do that. As someone once said, "They'll either make or break you."

I think everyone could see how much you loved Sarah, Hawk's niece, when she and her parents came to visit you. Tell us about her.


Sarah was a sweetheart and just about the prettiest thing you ever saw. She had a heart of gold, and I was delighted when my son Clifton took an interest in her. Their road wasn't easy either, though. That red-headed Belinda tried to stir up trouble and did a good job of it. Then, when Sarah moved down the mountain, some people treated her badly because she was half-Cherokee. Things finally worked themselves out, however. They usually do when we trust them to God.

Thank you for talking with me today, Emma. We'll plan to do it again sometime soon. I'd like to ask you some questions about Leah, Ivy, and Luke from Sown in Dark Soil, but we'll save those for another day.



You're most welcome. You know me -- one thing I can do is talk, unlike Sarah who tended to be too quiet. You come on back anytime now. I'd love to answer your questions about those three. That was a trying time too for a while.



____________________________________








No comments:

Post a Comment