Sunday, November 9, 2014

Is the American Dream in Opposition to God's Word?


In my history and social studies classes, I taught about the American Dream. Many of my ancestors crossed the Atlantic to find a better way of life for themselves, their families, and their descendants. I've always understood and respected that drive. However, in my Bible study this last year, I came to realize valuing possessions and wealth is not what God's Word teaches, and the way some people have embraced the American Dream may lead them astray.

"Labour not to be rich: cease from thine own wisdom" (Proverbs 23:4).

I don't think wanting to provide good things for your family is wrong. Having wealth is not necessarily bad either, unless you sinned to get the wealth, or you aren't using it in the way that God wants. I once had a friend whose main goal in life was to make a million dollars. This person had a good job but lived frugally and invested a great deal of time, energy, and money in the stock market, hoping to reach millionaire status. Although claiming to be a Christian, I saw little evidence of faith and more evidence of worshiping the American Dream.

"A faithful man shall abound with blessings: but he that maketh haste to be rich shall not be innocent" (Proverbs 28:20).

Perhaps our attitude and focus is really the crux of the issue. We need our focus on Christ and to have an obedient attitude. Our main goal in life shouldn't be materialistic. 

"It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God" (Mark 10:25)!

Is the American Dream in opposition to God's Word? I'll leave you to answer that.
_______________________________________


2 comments:

  1. Have often wondered about this National pursuit of wealth but don't have any clear answers.

    ReplyDelete