Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Help for Achy Bones and Joints


In the Appalachian Roots series, three of the heroines know something about herbal healing. It's an interesting and almost exhaustive subject.

A little over a year ago, I ran across a health tip for something that seems to ease my arthritis pain - ginger. I use about 1/4 teaspoon of the spice sprinkled in a beverage, like hot tea, water, or a lemon-lime soda once a day. You can also buy ginger tea. My husband prefers the over-the-counter ginger root pill, which he takes once a day. This won't cure the condition, but it eases my pain and makes me less stiff.

My mother had severe arthritis and took ibuprofen for years. In the end, she had kidney failure, likely from the pain medication, and had to go on dialysis. Because of this, I've been hesitant to take
ibuprofen or acetaminophen (which can cause liver problems) on a regular basis. Therefore, the ginger is a welcomed alternative.

As with any supplement or medication, you should consult with your doctor, for individual cases and needs can vary. I did, and mine said ginger was also good for the digestion.
___________________________________

1 comment: