Saturday, January 9, 2016

When Winter Is Past

After some deliberation, I've decided to give self-publishing a try. I still plan to stay with my current publisher, for we're still working on the Appalachian Roots Series. Uprooted by War, the third book set during the Civil War, is with the editor now. The one that I'm self- publishing, When Winter Is Past, is a stand-alone and not part of a series. I'm using it as an experiment. I'll go through the process, see what happens, and then determine if I want to self-publish any more or not. This will enable me to bring out my books faster.


When Winter Is Past is set in Pennsylvania in 1739. Stanton Klein’s father had given up on life after his wife died and left Stanton orphaned to live with his grandparents. Stanton decides he'll never love like that. He and his first wife had fared well together, but she’d died in childbirth. Now he’s decided to find another woman to marry. After all, a farmer needs a wife and sons. However, with the changes come important lessons and dangers that Stanton never imagined.


Beth Evans has taken care of her father, since he fell from a barn roof and can no longer walk. People, like Fiona, have always made fun of her, because she has a limp. When Stanton befriends her, she’s wary but also intrigued. Her father encourages her to give Stanton a chance, but how can she be sure this is what’s best?

As with my other books, all profits will go to a scholarship fund for missionary children. When Winter Is Past is shorter than the others I've written -- about 64,000 words, while the others I've published are about 89,000 words. However, the story is special to me. My beta readers loved it, so I'm excited to be publishing. I should have a cover to reveal soon. I'm using the picture above with the window. What do you think?


______________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment