Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Blacksmiths

A blacksmith creates items from iron or steel by heating the metal and using tools to hammer, bend, or cut it into shape. The blacksmith was a necessary part of a community in earlier times. He made such things as tools, nails, farm implements, weapons, kitchen items, rails, decorative objects, etc.


Blacksmiths were along on the first expeditions that came to America, and they helped in building the country. As western expansion pushed forward, changing the edge of the frontier, blacksmiths were there. In fact, the Cagle family needed a wheelwright or blacksmith as they journeyed up the mountain in my first historical novel set in 1804, Cleared for Planting, book 1 in the Appalachian Roots Series. Here is an excerpt:

            “This place is called ‘Tucker’s Barn,’” Papa said. “I guess the barn’s the biggest thing here, but the guy in the store said there was a blacksmith who might take a look at the wheel.”
            Papa pulled the wagon to the shop, which turned out to be a stable of sorts, too.
            “I broke a wheel on the trip here,” Papa told the brawny man who came up, “and I was wondering if it could be fixed or if I need a new one.”
            “Abel Bush, here,” the man put out his hand. “Where’re you headed?”
            “I’m Lester Cagle, and this here’s my family.” Papa shook the man’s hand. We’re going up the mountains to my brother’s place near the Linville River.”
            “Getting up the mountain will be hard,” Mr. Bush shook his head. “It’ll take a toll on your mules and your wagon. I’d get anything new I could, if I were you. Actually, I’d get a whole new wagon and team.” He grinned. “But, I’ll look over everything for you and tell you what I think. I won’t charge you for the advice.”
            “I’d appreciate that. Do you have any work I could do to pay for what we need?”
            “Well, I don’t know about that. Let me see what I think first.”

(As with all my novels, my profits go to a scholarship fund for missionary children.)

______________________________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment