Saturday, January 2, 2016

Keep Writing


I became a writer about third grade, and I've been writing since then. No one ever told me how important it was for a writer to keep writing. Something within me just compelled me to write. To me, it was a natural progression of my love of stories. I've always had a vivid imagination, and my writing just seemed an extension of that and my love of reading.


If you're serious about your writing, you should write some everyday. Set a goal you can manage and adjust it as your situation changes. Right now, my goal is 1,000 words a day, and I know other authors who have this same goal. I have a lot going on, but this is something I can do. If you work another job and have a young family, you might want to set your goal lower. However, if you set a doable goal and stick with it, you'll be amazed at how much the writing will accumulate and how much you'll learn as you practice.


I've found something else helps me to pick back up my writing each day. I try to never stop at a stopping point. Instead, I stop where I know what needs to happen next in the story, and it's easier for me to begin again. Once I have the flow going, it tends to continue. The point is to find what works for you, and keep at it.

____________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment