Wednesday, November 30, 2016

Writers Must Be Readers


I've been an avid reader since second grade, and most writers love to read. We have a passion for the written word and for stories, and we write from that love and passion. The writers who come into the market in order to get rich or a similar reason usually quit after the first book. I used to teach school, and recently a reader said to me. "I know you're making much more writing than you did teaching." I laughed. With a master's degree and several years experience, I made much more teaching. Besides, all my profits go a scholarship fund for missionary children anyway.


I've published six books in a year and a half, but I still manage to read over 200 books a year. One year in high school, I read nearly 400 books, including classics like War and Peace. It's what I do for entertainment and to relax. I read in many different genres, but my choices reflect what I write. I only read Christian books, unless I know the author well. In order of preference I tend to read historical, contemporary, mystery or suspense, time travel (if done well), and a little historical fantasy. I like for the books to have at least some romance. I think love is one of the greatest gifts we are given, and, after all, God is love. Besides these fiction categories, I also have a non-fiction Christian book and a devotional going. So at any time, I'm reading at least three books.


A fan recently asked me, if I read so much, how did I keep from copying something from someone else into my writing. First of all, I never have to go looking for stories to tell. They find me, and I usually have at least four rolling around in my mind at any one time. The challenge is to find the time to write them all. I'll probably go to my grave with stories yet to be written, even though I've been writing them faster than we can publish them. Secondly, I can only write my stories. I read to enjoy someone else's, but those are not ones I could write or would want to. 


The advice usually given to beginning writers is really true. If you want to write, read in that genre, read, and then read some more. As you learn the craft, you'll notice what techniques work and what doesn't. With winter's confining weather soon here, it's a great time to snuggle up with a good book, but I think anytime is a great time to read.
_______________________________

9 comments:

  1. Yea and amen! Good blog; good writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think our youth of today is missing out using their I boxes and watching video instead of snuggling down to read a good book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Catherine. We even learn a lot about human nature and life's lessons from reading a good book.

      Delete
    2. I agree, Catherine. We even learn a lot about human nature and life's lessons from reading a good book.

      Delete