Friday, November 18, 2016

An Afterthought or Two

Likewise also these filthy dreamers defile the flesh, despise dominion, and speak evil of dignities (Jude 8).

The election is over, and many Americans have had time to calm down and reflect, or at least they should have. I haven't heard one person that liked this election. Despite which candidate you voted for, however, it's time to move ahead with a positive attitude. This is especially true for Christians. The Bible tells us that God appoints the rulers, and he has His reasons.

Let every soul be subject unto the higher powers. For there is no power but of God: the powers that be are ordained of God. Whoever therefire resisteth the power, resisteth the ordinance of God (Romans 13:1 - 2a).


The Bible also tells us that we are to submit to the leaders as long as it doesn't go against what God wants and involve a moral issue. Read what one of my former students wrote:

My thoughts on this election...if we (myself included) would spend more time on our knees in prayer for out newly elected leader (no matter who they are) and less time bickering, gloating, or complaining, imagine how God could use the person in office. You see God will use the most "unpredictable/ unqualified" people to fulfill His will. My Bible shows me this time and time again. I don't have all the answers but what I do know is if we're willing He'll use us. We might not understand it now, but I'll take God's will over mine any day. Join me in praying for out nation and our newly elected President.

For it is written, Thou shalt not speak evil of the ruler of thy people (Acts 23:5b).

Reading what my student wrote makes me proud to say I taught her. The negative public view of Christians seems to be easing up some, at least temporarily, and this appears to be a good time to push forward with Christian agendas, following God's lead. But I'm so afraid Christians will breathe a sigh of relief that the election is over, sit back down on their pews, and become complacent. We should be speaking boldly and standing firmly for God's truth and His agenda, always remembering that we are commanded to deal with others in love. To God be the glory!

Honour all men. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honour the king (1 Peter 2:17).
____________________________________




No comments:

Post a Comment