Monday, July 10, 2023

Trip to Deadwood

Lodge at Deadwood
My husband and I left on June 6 to go to Deadwood, South Dakota. An opportunity came up, and we took advantage of it. Not only is Deadwood an old western town where I planned to set an upcoming book, but they were holding Wild West Days, which also included an author/ book festival called "Deadwood Reads." I could do research, attend author sessions, and meet some of my favorite fellow authors, whom I knew online but had never connected with in person.

After checking on airline tickets to Rapid City (the closest airport to Deadwood) and a rental car, we decided to drive. Even booking more than three months ahead, the flight and rental would be over $2000, and driving would give us more flexibility. We could stay with my son and his family in Knoxville and Jim's sister near St. Louis, and we wanted to stop and see some sights on the way.


We got home on June 23 after having driven for 3,670 miles. We were tired because these older bones get stiff and achy faster than they once did, and we had changed time zones twice (four times round trip), but it had been a good trip. Although I am still trying to play catch-up from being gone, especially with my writing-related tasks, we accomplished what we'd planned. I will be blogging much more about all this in between telling about my about-to-be-published books, so stay tuned.

_______________________________




 

No comments:

Post a Comment