Monday, July 3, 2023

 Patriotism in Books

Since the United States celebrates tomorrow as Independence Day and the birth of the nation, I thought I'd take a look back at some of my books that deal with patriotism. I decided to do this in chronological order instead of the order in which they were published. Appropriately, the first one is set during the beginning of the Revolutionary War.

A Bird in the Hand tells the story of families as the colonists choose sides. Jonas Wright becomes a spy for the colonies, using carrier pigeons to deliver messages. When he leaves for the College of Philadelphia, he asks his twin sister, Jocelyn to take over. It could be a dangerous endeavor because, not only are their parents loyalists, but they are housing British soldiers. And the man Jocelyn can't keep thinking about, Bennett Hart, also appears loyal to the crown.

Link to A Bird in the Hand

Uprooted by War is set in the Appalachian Mountains during the Civil War. When Luke Moretz thinks he's about to be conscripted into the Confederacy, he travels to Tennessee to join the Union Army and eventually ends up in the Confederate prison at Andersonville. But the soldiers aren't the only ones to face difficulties. His family members back home face their own problems, but through it all is the strong thread of faith and hope that will see them through.

Link to Uprooted by War

Maneuvers is set during the extensive military maneuvers just prior to World War II and the war itself. However, since my books are character-driven instead of plot-driven, the book is not so much about the war as it is about the people, especially the people left at home. It is a time of uncertainty, but Paul Martin and Donna Huneycutt are determined to handle it by being faithful and honoring God.

Link to Maneuvers

Hurting Hero, my latest book, isn't about a war, but it is about a soldier wounded in action and in a wheelchair. His life has changed so drastically in such a short time that he has trouble adjusting. Will the feisty widow he meets through friends help or hurt his self-concept? She certainly gives him plenty to think about and makes him consider that just maybe his future can be brighter than he thought.

Link to Hurting Hero

Since I like writing historical novels, it was inevitable that I write some dealing with America's wars. And since I focus on people, when I agreed to write a book appropriate to the theme of a small town Fourth of July, I chose a wounded warrior as my hero. Although some of these books are part of a series, as with all my books, they can also be read as a standalone. I don't think you would be disappointed in any of these warm-hearted reads.

__________________________


No comments:

Post a Comment