Thursday, September 29, 2022

 The Bread of Life

And Jesus said unto them, I am the bread of life: he that cometh to me shall never hunger; and he that believeth on me shall never thirst  (John 6:35).

With fall upon us, my husband loves for me to start making homemade bread, something I usually do more of throughout the fall and winter. Historically, bread in one form or another was a staple in most cultures. This was certainly true for the Israelites. Maybe this was one of the reasons Jesus called Himself The Bread of Life. He should be the staple in our spiritual diet.

Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me hath everlasting life. I am that bread of life (John 6:47-48).

Accepting Jesus as our Lord and Savior also gives us eternal life. He's our sustenance, our life-giver, now and forever. As you know, Jesus was born in Bethlehem. But did you know the word, bethlehem, means  "place of bread?" How appropriate! Jesus gives us life and life more abundantly.

And when he had given thanks, he brake it, and said, Take, eat: this is my body, which is broken for you: this do in remembrance of me (1 Corinthians 11:24).

In the Upper Room at the Last Supper, Jesus broke the bread and distributed it among his disciples, saying that the bread represented His body, given as a sacrifice for all. He told them to continue holding this communion to remember. Yes, Jesus is our Bread of Life.

______________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment