Monday, May 2, 2022

 Contentious Characters


After a recent novel I read, I realized how tired I've become of the main characters never getting along, being so contentious, and causing problems for themselves. I don't mind some of this in a novel, but when the whole plot is based on misunderstandings and hostility, it becomes too much.


I read to be entertained, and I don't find harsh disagreements, arguments, and conflicts between the main characters enjoyable. Instead, it's frustrating and disappointing. I had enough of this behavior early in my adult life, and I don't want to relive it. I read to escape such things.



I don't mind if it has some of these elements in the beginning, or even scattered in the book, but I don't want it to be the bulk of the story. After some of the books I've read lately, I'd like to read a novel where the plot is based on circumstantial problems and not those the main characters create for themselves. Authors should endeavor to create enthralling novels without turning readers off. 
You want your readers to keep turning those pages but not be annoyed for most of the book.

________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment