Friday, September 13, 2019


 Mountain Experiences


I will lift mine eyes unto the hills, from whence cometh my help (Psalm 121: 1).

grew up with a mountain heritage. Five of my twenty Christian books are set in the Appalachian Mountains and three in the Rockies. (All profits go to a scholarship fund for missionary children.)  Every time I see a mountain, my spirit soars. My eyes move upward and the peaks seem to lift me high into the arms of God. I feel His presence everywhere in a special way. 

And it came to pass in those days, that he [Jesus] went out into a mountain to pray, and continued all night in prayer to God (Luke 6:12).

Jesus also liked to go somewhere like this and have time alone with the Father. Matthew, Mark, and Luke all recount instances when He did this. He prayed at other times, but He liked to find a special place to commune with God. We should, too. If you can, find an aesthetic place where you can appreciate His creation and focus entirely upon Him in praise and worship. Your prayers will take on a whole new meaning.

And when he has sent the multitudes away, he went up into a mountain apart to pray: and when evening was come, he was there alone (Matthew 14:23).

God speaks to each one of us differently according to our individual experiences and background. My mountains could be something else for different people — a flower garden, the ocean, the desert, an art museum, a park, a favorite fishing spot, etc. The important thing is to find somewhere or something to feed your soul and pull you into God’s presence. These special moments go beyond our meditation, Bible study, and prayer. They strengthen us for His service with a special touch.



______________________________


             



No comments:

Post a Comment