Wednesday, September 21, 2016

Writing My Stories


Last week, I had a wonderful visit with Madelyn's Book Belles in Locust, North Carolina. In the question and answer portion of my presentation to the book club, someone asked me an interesting question. I had made the comment that, even with all my writing, I still read over 200 books a year. She asked, if I read so many books, how did I keep from copying story ideas from them.


The answer is that I never go looking for story ideas to write. Someway, the ideas seem to find me. At any one time I have four to six ideas for stories rolling around in my head. My problem is finding the time to write all the ideas, not figuring out what I'm going to write next. The characters become close friends and scenes play in my mind like a movie before I start writing.


Even using two publishers, I'm writing the novels faster than I can get them into print. I publish in both e-formats and print copies, because over half my readers still prefer a traditional book they can store on a shelf, hold in their hands, and turn the pages. Right now, I see no end to this process, because the story ideas just keep coming. Although, some portions of a novel come easier than others, I have never experienced writer's block or been at a loss for words. To me, writing is a blessing and a joy.


When I pick up a book or my kindle, I read to enjoy someone else's story. I'm never looking to find a story idea then. I have too many of those rolling around in my mind already. I don't think it would work if I tried to write another person's idea anyway. My ideas seem to come from somewhere deep within me; they're a part of me. That's why my writing flows so easily. Perhaps God put them there.
____________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment