Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Snake on Site

I enjoy visiting historic places, and they offer interesting blog information. At one site I remember, we had a little more excitement than normal. Here's the story:

As we approached the house, the docent warned me that a family of blacksnakes had taken up residence near the house and for me to be on the lookout. This woman was extremely afraid of the creatures and almost trembled as she gave me the warning. I assured her that I was a country girl, and blacksnakes didn't scared me, as long as I could see them ahead of time and didn't run up on one unexpectedly to be startled. We continued though the house.


When we got to the parlor, we had no sooner stepped into the room than she squealed, "Snake!" and ran out into the hall. Sure enough, a young, dark snake had stretched out in the fireplace. I hadn't even noticed it yet, and wondered if she had some kind of built-in snake detector. It was warm that day, and he probably liked the cool bricks, since the house was air-conditioned.

It was so dark in that room that I couldn't see it well, but I assumed it was a non-poisonous blacksnake, since it was certainly a dark color. On a little closer scrutiny, however, he appeared to have some markings on him, and I began to wonder if he were a king snake. It's often hard to tell when they are still babies.


About that time, a man came in, took the fireplace tongs, and picked the snake up to take him outside. When he passed in front of the window, I could see the markings and realized this was a copperhead. The young ones are often a gray or colored differently than the adults. The man took him outside where we could easily tell by the nose and eyes that this snake was poisonous. Another man had retrieved a hoe and chopped the viper's head off.


No, I had never gotten close enough to be in any danger. I used my zoom lens on the camera, and the men took care of the situation efficiently and quickly. That experience certainly reinforced what I already knew. Treat all snakes as if they are poisonous until you are absolutely sure otherwise.
___________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment