Wednesday, March 6, 2019

When to Correct Grammar


I just listened to to a speaker talk to beginning writers, and she said to never worry about grammar, proofing, or editing on your first draft -- just write. Get it all down on paper first and then go back through to edit. And this is the best technique for many writers, but it's not best for me. 

The problem is that once I get something down on paper, I often read what I know should be there and what I think is there, instead of what is actually there. It comes from always being focused on the story and content and from being pulled into the story each time I read it. However, I don't belabor the grammar and sift each section carefully as I write. As I catch mistakes, however, I do correct them, both when I initially write, and as I read back through the manuscript. I would never rely solely on myself either. I usually have beta readers and always have an editor. But I find the more mistakes I can take care of myself, the fewer that slip through.

This is just another example of what works for one may not work for all. I learned early, as I started writing novels for publication, to consider each piece of advice but filter out what wouldn't be helpful to me personally and use what is. Writers have different writing styles and different personalities. Choose what's best for you and your writing.

________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment