Thursday, February 25, 2016

Clam Chowder


Today is National Clam Chowder Day. Although there's many recipes for clam chowder and many varieties, two of the best known are New England clam chowder and Manhattan clam chowder. Although I like Manhattan clam chowder with its red, tomato base, my favorite is New England clam chowder with its white, creamy sauce. I guess this is because potato soup has always been a favorite of mine too.


Fish chowders were believed to be forerunners of the clam chowder. In my historical novel, When Winter Is Past, Beth cooks a fish chowder. Here's an except of where she invites Stanton to stay and eat:

"You can stay for dinner, can’t you? I’m fixing a fish chowder, which won’t take long to prepare.”
           “I’d be delighted if it’s not too much trouble."
"Will you be bored to sit here and keep me company as I cook? You could always move over and talk with Father." 
“I find talking with you fascinating, so I’ll stay here if I won’t be in your way." 
Beth looked pleased and busied herself preparing the meal. Stanton found he liked to just sit and watch her. As she stood and worked, she had a graceful way about her. It wasn’t until she walked about with her limp that she became unbalanced.
Stanton watched Beth add a few carrots, diced potatoes, and onions to the pot with the fish. In about ten minutes, she stirred in butter, milk, and a little flour. She added some salt and pepper and stirred it until it came to a boil. The food smelled wonderful.
She swung the pot away from the fire and dipped some for her father first. When she had him settled with his food before him, she came back to serve theirs. Stanton wondered if they would share a trencher, but she chose two of the more modern pottery bowls and dipped chowder into them. He hoped his disappointment didn’t show. He would have enjoyed sharing a trencher with her. She then set out fresh bread and butter.
The kitchen became extra warm with the fire built up enough to cook, but the cloudy weather kept it from becoming too sweltering. He took a spoonful of his chowder. It tasted as good as it smelled.
“This is delicious. I don’t think I’ve ever eaten anything quite like it.”
“Since Father has become a finicky eater, I’ve experimented with some recipes to try to get him to eat more. This is one of those. The fish is fresh. I just caught them this morning.”
“You caught these and still managed to get back by the time I arrived?”
“When I left the house, the daylight had just begun to break through, and I only went to the creek. The fish there aren’t as big as the ones sold in the markets, but I know a spot where the bigger ones stay, and I can catch enough for a meal. I filleted them into pieces to boil for the chowder.
She gave him an apologetic smile.“I didn’t know you were coming, so I don’t have a pie baked, but I have some fresh strawberries and sweetened cream to go on them. They’re the very first of the season, and I had to search the sunny areas before the rain came to find them.”
“That sounds delicious too.”
                       (Profits from all my books go to a scholarship fund for missionary children.)

There are many recipes for clam chowder, and you can find some good ones on the internet. Choose one that appeals to you and celebrate the day. Since chowders are believed to be French in origin, Bon appetit!
______________________________________








No comments:

Post a Comment