Friday, February 12, 2016

Abraham Lincoln and the Civil War


Today would have been Abraham Lincoln's birthday. He became President to lead the United States during one of the most difficult times in its history - the Civil War. Because the Southern states didn't like Lincoln's views on the issues of that day, his election in 1860 and taking office in 1861 triggered the secession and the establishment of the Confederate States of America. Of course, the war ensued.


Lincoln had a hands-on policy in the war. He changed commanding generals time and time again, before he found one that successfully took Richmond - Ulysses S. Grant. Lincoln's post-war plan was to allow the South back without major sanctions or hardships. All that changed when he was assassinated five days after Lee surrendered to Grant at Appomattox.


I think the Civil War era has fascinated history buffs, because it had such a dismal effect on the country. In my historical novel soon to be released, Uprooted by War, I tried to show the hardships without becoming gloomy. I made sure that, even in the dark times, there was always a cord of hope running through the book, and some good things happened. It was the most difficult one in the Appalachian Roots Series to write, but my previewers have told me it's the best one yet. I know it was a labor of love, for I do love history.

All my profits from my books go to a scholarship for mission children.



_________________________________________


No comments:

Post a Comment