Monday, March 16, 2015

The Swamp Fox

Sweeping through the swamps of South Carolina in surprise attacks, Francis Marion brought dread to the hearts of many a British soldier in the Revolutionary War. He was born on a plantation in Berkeley, South Carolina, in 1732. In 1757 he and his brother were recruited to fight in the French and Indian War. In 1775, he was commissioned a captain in the 2nd South Carolina regiment, and in 1778, the Continental Congress made him a Lieutenant Colonel. 


He fought in several engagements, but what he's best known for are the gorilla tactics he used against the British in the backwoods and swamps. He liked to surprise the enemy with quick, in-and-out attacks when least expected. His reputation as the "Swamp Fox" made him an apt recruiter for the Patriot cause, and he never lacked for volunteers. The British soldiers feared his appearance.

M. L. Weems (1756 - 1825) wrote a glowing, early biography of Marion that helped make him famous. Since then, numerous books have been written about him, and many American history classes cover him. 

Marion died in 1795 at age 63, and his grave can be seen at Belle Island Plantation Cemetery, Berkeley County, SC. His grave plaque reads in part:

"History will record his worth and rising generations embalm his memory as one of the most distinguished PATRIOTS AND HEROES OF THE AMERICAN REVOLUTION which elevated his native country to honor and independence and secured to her the blessings of liberty and peace."


_____________________________________________________________









2 comments:

  1. I remember seeing a production about "The Swamp Fox" when I was much younger. He was the Early American Superhero. I enjoyed this post. Good stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much! I'm sorry about my delayed replies to you. I guess I've been pretty swamped myself. : ) I'd forgotten about checking for comments, because I hadn't had any for a period there.

    ReplyDelete