Saturday, March 7, 2015


Fiction vs Non-fiction

Historically, people have considered novels as second class works, and I still run across this attitude today. It's true everywhere and especially in the Christian market. Many of the men in some type of ministry turn their noses up at the idea of Christian fiction. "Of course, the classics are different," they'll say if asked. Well, the classics were once first-published novels, too.


I read and write both, but my first love is fiction. I can get across messages by showing them within a story, instead of just expounding on them. Isn't this what Jesus did with His parables? In general, novels don't tend to go out of date as quickly as non-fiction, either, so they can have a longer shelf life. Writing fiction also gives me more creative room.

On the other hand, Non-fiction is somewhat easier to write and easier to get published. Both require research, however. Except for bestsellers, non-fiction usually sells better.

Mark Twain once remarked, "It's no wonder that truth is stranger than fiction. Fiction has to make sense." He also said, "Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities. Truth isn't."

I continue to enjoy all types of reading and writing. I even write some poetry, because I think it helps firm-up my prose. If I had to put my preferences in order, however, they would be as follows:
       Novels
       Non-fiction books
       Magazine articles
       Poetry
       Short stories
What about you? What do you enjoy reading most?
______________________________________











No comments:

Post a Comment