Thursday, September 5, 2024

 The Patience of Job

Curse that night for letting me be born, for exposing me to trouble and grief (Job 3:10).

Most of us have probably heard people mention "the patience of Job." I can remember my mother saying it often. However, did Job really have patience? The question was raised in a recent Bible study. The author made a good case for Job not being very patient as he went through so many trials.

O that my grief were thoroughly weighed, and my calamity laid in the balances together! For the arrows of the Almighty are within me, the poison whereof drinketh up my spirit: the terrors of God do set themselves in array against me (Job 6: 2 & 4).

Job cries out in despair and for relief again and again in The Book of Job. It is understandable when we consider all that he's going through, but it hardly demonstrates patience. He goes to the throne of God, angrily insisting on some answers. Again, that's not showing patience. However, through everything, Job does maintain great faith in His Lord. He refuses to curse Him and die like his wife tells him to do. In fact, he says, "Though he slay me, yet will I trust him" (Job 13:15).

Behold, we count them happy which endure. Ye have heard of the patience of Job..." (James 5:11a).

However, after enduring so much suffering, it makes sense that Job came out on the other side with great patience. He had learned some important lessons, and patience was one of them. The Apostle James mentions it in the last part of his letter. God often uses our trials to refine us and make us into better people.

My brethren, count it all joy when ye fall into divers temptations; knowing this, that the trying of your faith worketh patience. But let patience have her perfect work, that ye may be perfect and entire, wanting nothing (James 1: 2-4).

_________________________





2

No comments:

Post a Comment