Thursday, September 12, 2024

Commissioned

Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost (Matthew 28:19).  

Most Christians are familiar with the Great Commission. When I served as a missionary in the Philippines, I took notes during a meeting with fellow missionaries of ways God's people could take part in teaching all nations. Obviously, not everyone is called to go to a foreign mission field. However, God does expect us all to carry the gospel message wherever we go.

The following is a list of different ways to fulfill this commandment. The key is to select the ones God leads you to do. More than likely, He won't tell you to do just one, and they may change at different stages of your life.

  • Be a Sender - Senders often financially support missionaries so they can go. However, if you personally know the missionary, you might take care of a home place, check on relatives for them, or do any number of things to help support them being gone.
  • Be an Encourager -  Missionaries often feel isolated and cut off from their previous life. Cards, letters, emails, and packages mean a lot, especially to those without families with them. I met many missionaries serving as single men and women.
  • Be an Intercessor - Pray for missionaries in general, but also for specific missionaries. No one knows the effectiveness of fervent prayers any more than a missionary. They rely upon them. Prayer warriors are always needed.
  • Be a Welcomer - Be a friend to those who are different and need a friend. Welcome missionaries into your home if you have the opportunity. I will never forget the kindness of people who invited me to stay with them when I was traveling to the mission field or coming home or the number of people who picked me up at airports or took me to rent a car when I needed one.
  • Be a Mobilizer - These are the people who help match people with mission opportunities or recruit people to serve in needed mission positions.
  • Be a Helper - There are so many ways to assist a missionary and give practical assistance where needed. You might even consider being an assistant missionary for a term.
  • Be a Trainer. You may have experience in an area that would be beneficial to a missionary. Perhaps you could volunteer to help train them.
  • Be a Goer - Go where God sends you. Say, "Here I am, Lord. Send me." And remember going isn't just overseas. There are also great mission needs right here in the United States, and where you are. Just be faithful to God and His call upon your life.
______________________

2 comments:

  1. I need to put some of this into practice. I read the missionary letters for our church and bring the preacher's attention to anything that needs to be addressed, (we have over 200 we support and probably 300 letters every month from ones we don't support, so it's quite a job). I pray for them as I read their letters, but I need to do much more. Thanks for the kick in the pants to do something!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Taking care of the letters is one way of helping, but you're right. We all could probably do more than we do. I enjoy reading your comments.

      Delete