Monday, June 24, 2024

 1880 Town


On our way to Deadwood last year, my husband and I found an interesting 1880 town in Midland, South Dakota. In fact, that's what it's called. Some of the buildings there were reconstructed, but others were historical buildings that were moved in. I plan to do a series of blogs about the site when time permits between posting about my books and writing because I've got another book in the works set in Deadwood, and it will be set in 1880. But more about that at a later time.

The town first began as a set for a Western movie in a nearby small town. A main street was constructed from old buildings and Clarence Hullinger loaned them artifacts and antiques. When winter set in, the movie company left, abandoning the movie set and giving it to Clarence for the use of his old items. The set was moved to an eighty-acre site, and the 1880 Town opened.

Today, tourists can visit over thirty buildings as well as other outside points of interest. It gives a good overview of what life in a Western town in the late 1800s might have been like. By reviewing the history of the actual buildings and learning of the people who lived and worked there, visitors also get a taste of local history. My husband and I spent over half a day there, and for two history buffs, it was well worth the time. I'll be writing more about specific sections and buildings later.

______________________







4 comments: