Thursday, September 28, 2023

Nebuchadnezzar Recognizes God

Daniel became a favorite of King Nebuchadnezzar after he and his friends were taken captive to Babylon. He was able to interpret the king's dream about a statue made of gold, silver, bronze, and iron when no one else could, and when Daniel gave God the glory, Nebuchadnezzar began to recognize that this young man worshipped a powerful God. He gave Daniel important positions, and this evoked jealousy among some of the Babylonians.

Nebuchadnezzar made a nine-foot golden statue, set it up on the plain of Dura, and ordered that everyone bow down and worship it. When Daniel's friends, Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego refused to bow down and worship it, the king had them thrown into a fiery furnace so hot that it killed the guards who threw them in. But God sent an angel to spare them, and they were unharmed. When Nebuchadnezzar looked, he saw four people in the furnace and not three. He said the fourth person looked like the Son of God. But even after seeing all these miracles, Nebuchadnezzar didn't see Daniel's God as the One True God. He only added Him to the plethora of other gods he recognized.

King Nebuchadnezzar had another dream of a great tree, but the tree was cut down. Again, Daniel hesitantly tells the king what it means. For a while, the king will live as an animal outside, grazing on grass. This came true too. But later, when Nebuchadnezzar recognizes God is in control, he is restored to his senses and takes the throne again. He now understands the majesty and perhaps even the sovereignty of God. Here is what the Bible says:

At the end of the days I Nebuchadnezzar lifted up mine eyes unto heaven, and mine understanding returned unto me, and I blessed the most High, and I praised and honored him that liveth for ever, whose dominion is an everlasting dominion, and his kingdom is from generation to generation. And the inhabitants of the earth are reputed as nothing: and he doeth according to his will in the army of heaven, and among the inhabitants of the earth: and none can stay his hand, or say unto him, What doest thou? At the same time my reason returned to me; and the glory of my kingdom, mine honour and brightness returned unto me; and my counsellors and my lords sought unto me; and I was established in my kingdom and excellent majesty was added unto me. Now I Nebuchadnezzar praise and extol and honour the King of heaven, all whose works are truth, and his ways judgment: and those that walk in pride he is able to abase (Daniel 4:34-37).

Do you recognize God's perfection, glorious majesty, and power? He is beyond description and worthy of all worship and praise. We can never honor Him enough.

Let all the earth fear the Lord;

let the inhabitants of the world

stand in awe of him!

Psalm 33:8

_____________________________




No comments:

Post a Comment