Monday, December 19, 2022

 Historical Novels vs Contemporary Ones

In general, historical novels far outsell contemporary ones in clean/Christian romance. I know first-hand because I've written both. Perhaps one of the reasons is that many people, whether consciously or subconsciously, would like to return to a simpler time when traits, such as honesty, integrity, unselfishness, and justice were still held in high regard. It was a time when friends, faith, and family remained of utmost importance.

I heard some authors saying the same thing in a contemporary series with multiple authors that I'm participating in. I didn't write any contemporary novels in 2022, but I'll have two in 2023. Both will be a part of this Seven Holidays series. The Prodigal Pastor will be released on January 23 as part of A Small Town Valentine's Day Romance. Hurting Hero will publish on June 12 and be part of A Small Town 4th of July Romance.

Link to The Prodigal Pastor

Link to Hurting Hero

As a history and English major in college, I also prefer historical novels, although I read and enjoy both. I think most avid readers would say they read both too.  I know many authors who also write both historical and contemporary novels. Although I enjoy researching a novel, sometimes it's nice to have a break from trying to fit a plot and fictitious characters into history and all the research that requires. There's also some research for a contemporary novel, but it's not as much or as intense. For now, I plan to continue to write both in much the same way as I read -- mainly historical but with a few contemporary thrown in. 

____________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment