Monday, February 15, 2021

 Videos Can Help or Hurt 

Are poor quality videos and podcasts worse than not having them at all? As these media forms get more popular and easier to record and post, I see many unimpressive ones, especially marketing books or telling about authors. They do not make me want to buy. In fact, I would be less likely to purchase the book than if I hadn't seen the video. Last year, I participated in an all-day author event that had many of these.

Some authors seem to think that the object is to get themselves and their books out there. They don't consider the quality of what they present. I've seen some videos where the presenter looked so ridiculous or did such a poor job that I was embarrassed for them. Often they come across with such cheerful enthusiasm they seem fake and overdramatic -- not a good recommendation for their work. 

In contrast, I have an author friend whose husband is adept at producing quality media material, including videos. Her excellent clips are always appealing, and I'm sure they pull readers in, make new fans, and increase her sales. If you want to make a video, critique some of the ones out there and decide what you should and shouldn't do.

______________________________


No comments:

Post a Comment