Monday, September 7, 2020

Dependence on the Internet


My internet has been going out too much lately, and it's been a stark reminder of how much I depend on it as a writer. Recently, I wanted to finish the last chapter in the rough draft of a novel I'm writing set during the Revolutionary War. I couldn't look up the words online to make sure they were used in that time period. I couldn't check maps for needed geographic information or do other research. I couldn't find a quote to go under the chapter heading that went with that chapter, and the list goes on and on.


I respect those early writers who had to do it all by using their own books, going to libraries, or visiting other physical sites. No wonder it took so long to write a book then. It is easier today and has allowed more people to become authors, but that has both a good and bad side. With self-publishing, we get books covering a broad range of qualities being released. Most of them have editors, but not all.



I started off with a traditional publisher and published five books with them. They taught me the importance of using online sources to promote and market books -- another authors' use of the internet. I was frustrated when my internet went out during a day I was guest blogging on a well-known author's page. As an author, I feel handicapped without it for so many different reasons.
________________________________


No comments:

Post a Comment