Thursday, September 24, 2020

 Some Christian Troublemakers


That's an oxymoron, isn't it? Christian and troublemakers should be opposites. They certainly don't go together. As Warren Wiersbe says in Be Mature, "It is a serious thing to be a troublemaker in God's family" (kindle loc. 1402). Yet, some "Christians" do just that. They are turning to their wisdom and not God's. They justify their actions by telling themselves they're right.

Now I beseech you, brethren, mark them which cause divisions and offences contrary to the doctrine which ye have learned and avoid them (Romans 16:17).

Most churches have to contend with a troublemaker at some point in time. It's important to use God's wisdom and Word in dealing with them, and not our own. Our natural inclination is probably to tell them what we think, but that only brings us down to their level. God commanded that we treat everyone with love, even the troublemaker. He made no exceptions.

These things I command you, that ye love one another (John 15:17).

Several years ago, I was teaching an adult Sunday school class. One of the men in there took exception to some of what I said, and often tried to start an argument. For example, when I was teaching the Great Commission, he said he didn't think we should go into other countries, because there was enough that needed doing right here in America. I asked why we couldn't do both, but I kept my voice tone pleasant. Later another member of the class asked me why I allowed someone to challenge me like that. I tried to explain that I wanted to act in kindness no matter what others did. I knew in my heart I was following what God wanted me to do.

But I say unto you, love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you (Matthew 5:44).

There was a member of another church who became obsessed with politics, and one of the political parties seemed to be his religion. He took exception to what the pastor said, because the minister tried to be unbiased in pulpit and didn't overtly favor either party. The man stood before the congregation and called for the pastor's resignation. The people unanimously supported their minister.

Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another,,, (Hebrews 10:25).

Another time, a man got angry with his pastor and church and declared he would see that the church closed its doors. Declaring war on God's church seems awfully scary to me and is certainly not a wise thing to do. That church is still holding services years later, by the way.

These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer: I have overcome the world (John 16:33).

God doesn't want his people behaving like this. When they do, they're not loving others as themselves, but putting themselves and what they want first. In fact, when a believer makes trouble, he or she is outside of the will of God. He calls us to be peacemakers, not troublemakers. Let's heed that call.

Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God (Matthew 5:9).
__________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment