Wednesday, March 4, 2020

Unrealistic Expectations?


I know there are some really good audible producers out there, but the best ones charge big bucks - around $500 or more per finished hour. And I've begun to wonder if we don't hold unreasonable expectations from our narrators. Is it expecting too much for a male reader to sound just like a female when reading their lines or for a female to sound just like a male? I find once I get into a book, I fall into the cadence and voice capabilities of the narrator, and unless he or she has some huge fault, I enjoy this telling of the book.


My Audibles
But I find more and more reviewers are being critical. I even saw one who said she had listened to so many audiobooks that she was getting bored with some of the narrators she used to like.  One of my Audibles recently had a review that said, "The narration I did not enjoy. His character voices were silly and a bit like a couple of kids playing dolls. I think he would be better if the voices sounded more realistic. The narrator has promise though. His speech cadence was very good and I was never unsure of who was speaking. I loved his voice when just narrating the story, but not his character voices." Personally, I think this narrator does a very good job. He is professional, wants to get it right, and works very hard to do so.


So, as an author, I make a plea on behalf of the narrators out there. Don't have unrealistic expectations of the books they produce but enjoy what they are able to bring to the story. Give them a chance before you discredit them. Once you get into the story, you may change your mind. Judge with a kind heart and gentle spirit, as you would want to be judged. And enjoy the special experience of an audiobook!
______________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment