Wednesday, November 13, 2019

Local Settings


Many authors write about places close to them or where they live. Knowing a place well makes it easier to write about, but at times, it can also be more difficult, especially with historical fiction. Local research can be sketchy with plenty of information in certain areas but large gaps missing, and residents, as well as readers, expect the author to get it right.


Of my eighteen novels in paperback, three have been set where I lived, and eight are nearby. I have at least visited all the locations I've written about. However, I've been to all fifty states and about forty-five other countries, so I have many places from which to choose. I grew up in the Appalachians, and five of my books are set there. They are some of my most popular. Cleared for Planting has been my best-seller at presentations and book signings, and Mountain Mishap is my top-seller in ebooks and on audible.


Unexpected, the last book I released, is set in 1961 in Oakboro, NC,  where I live now. And I'm currently researching a book set in the same town around 1942 when there were military maneuvers in the area to train men to go overseas in World War II. As I expected, there is some good information, but I'm going to have to dig for some of the answers I need. But I find it all fun, and I actually like the research. I also like giving the readers authentic settings.



______________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment