Wednesday, June 5, 2019

An Author in Scotland

I recently returned from spending seven days in Scotland. Someone asked me how many book ideas would come from the experience. Honestly, I have  no idea. I know of at least one, although it will be set in the Appalachian Mountains and not Scotland. I was amazed at how much parts of Scotland's Highlands reminded me of the Appalachians. I can see why so many Scots felt at home there.


Ideas don't always come to me right away, and I never try to come up with one I'm not inspired to write. I use the ones that come to me, instead of me hunting for them. Actually, they come to me faster than I can write them. I usually have around half a dozen ideas rolling around in my head at any given time. I write the ones that never fade. This is why I've never abandoned a novel manuscript and always finish every one I start.


Scotland was certainly inspiring. A camera doesn't do justice to the magnificent scenery. Even if I never write a book set in Scotland, I'm sure it will find its way into some. In fact, it already has. In my latest book, Mountain Storms, both Ian and Aileas are of Scottish descent, and Ian wears a kilt on occasion and plays the bagpipes. Like most people born in the Appalachians, I have Scottish ancestry. Perhaps that's why I felt at home in the Highlands.

(Amazon link --https://www.amazon.com/Mountain-Storms-Book-1-ebook/dp/B07R9X3PT1 )

___________________________


No comments:

Post a Comment