Wednesday, October 25, 2017

Narrators for Audible


I'm still learning about audible production, but having worked with Elisabeth Lagelee to release With Summer's Songs on Amazon Audible, I have learned the basics. I know it's not enough just to post your project and expect producers to rush to you, not unless you're very well-known. You need to listen to their samples on ACX, choose one whose voice fits, and contact them. This is how I found Elisabeth.


Elisabeth is a French-American actress with a focus on audiobooks and animation voice-overs. Although born in France, she spent every summer with her grandparents in California, where she now lives with her husband. She tells that her parents refused to get a T.V. so she spent hours listening to dramas on BBC radio. Soon she was reading her own stories and  developing different voices for each character. This versatility, along with her clear voice, is what drew me to her.


I've begun listening to a lot of audiobooks while I walk or drive on long trips. In a recent series by a top author, I heard quite a few words mispronounced, although the narrator's voice was good. I didn't find this in Elisabeth's work on my book because she did the corrections until she got it right. I admired her work ethic and willingness to take suggestions. I'm so glad I got her for my first book. I later found out that mine was her first project with ACX, but it turned out well for both of us.


I've been busy trying to find the right producer for my next book on audible. I needed a male who read with a slight Southern accent and maybe even have a black one for some of the characters. It took longer to find the right reader who would follow through on this project than it did for With Summer's Songs. However, it was too important to accept less than the best. As of today, a young man accepted my offer, and Promise is in production. I love the fresh excitement the audibles bring.


________________________________

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations on the audiobook! I’ve been curious how that process works. I listen to a lot of audiobooks, too, and you can really tell when a lot of thought went into the choice of narrator.

    ReplyDelete