Wednesday, September 27, 2017

Imagination and Writing


Of course, imagination plays a great part in writing a novel. The story stems from the author's imagination and ability to see the story unfold. But I think authors should also trust their readers' imagination.Generally, avid readers choose books over more visual forms, such a movies, because they get to imagine the scenes, as well as be able to know the characters' thoughts.


I read many books, however, that are so stuffed with descriptions, details, and explanations they bog the story down and make it boring. An author should weave in enough details (not write paragraphs of them) to make the story come alive while not becoming so heavy-handed that they suck some of the life out of it. If the information doesn't move the story forward or isn't crucial, don't include it.


I admit that I skip over many of the long descriptive paragraphs in a book. Most of them are not needed and should have been edited or taken out. I want character and plot development. I want to see what is going to happen or at least how the story gets to a foreseen conclusion. I don't want to get trapped in pages of passive prose. What about you? How do you feel about this?


__________________________________


No comments:

Post a Comment