Monday, September 4, 2017

Boone's Early Name

One of the things I love about doing research for my historical novels is that I learn such interesting facts - at least they're interesting to me. For example, while researching my Appalachian Roots series, I learned that Boone, North Carolina, was originally called Councill's Store. The Councill family established a store early in the history of the area, and by 1835, the store already included a post office. The community grew more quickly than most others in the area, and the lumber industry aided in this growth. 


In 1849, the new county of Watauga was formed, and the village of Boone became the county seat. Councill's Store had been renamed Boone after the explorer, Daniel Boone, who built a hunting cabin there and spent time in the area before he moved farther west.



Even having many relatives in Watauga County, growing up in a neighboring county, and graduating from Appalachian State University in Boone, I didn't know that Boone had first been called Councill's Store. This information enters into the first novel in the series, Cleared for Planting. By the last books, Sown in Dark Soil, Uprooted by War and Transplanted to Red Clay, the town is called Boone.

(All my profits go to a scholarship fund for missionary children.)
___________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment